Why Start the cHealth Blog?

March 22, 2010

Over the years, I’ve had fun posting various musings about Connected Health and related topics. I’ve guest blogged for The Health Care Blog, Healthcare IT News, Information Week, and Science Progress to name a few.  I’ve also contributed to the Center for Connected Health’s discussion page from time to time as I have this month (a piece on Social Networking and Connected Health).  I was poking around looking for a place to post some ideas recently and when we looked at the traffic to a variety of places one could post, compared to the traffic we get at www.connected-health.org, I stumbled upon the fact that our site gets quite a bit of traffic.  I also have felt lately like I have more to say and would like the freedom to post more often.

So, I’m moving into the 21st Century. In the next few days I’ll post something more meaty  and I hope you’ll sign up for email notification OR RSS feed and join in the conversation with me.

1. March 25, 2010 2:32 pm

I can’t wait to read more of your posts Joseph

The work your team is doing at the Center for Connected is not only trans-formative but provides both patients and providers with practical, effective, patient centered real world solutions.

You might want to add a twitter follow widget so that people can not only see your feed but quickly follow you as well

@cascadia

2. March 25, 2010 2:52 pm

Looking forward to it, Joe!

I hope you’ll include a variety of topics, including your thoughts on international connected health–which would be of interest to a wide audience.

I agree with @cascadia about the twitter widget–good idea.

@Lygeia

3. March 25, 2010 3:07 pm

This is great. You should try focusing on the real benefit that the connected health shall provide, and especially how it can scale and become a real tool to really transform the process. What we too often see on the field is pilots with promising results but not the “next step”.

• March 26, 2010 4:37 pm

Agree that scale is really important and demonstrating value relative to other care delivery models.

4. March 25, 2010 3:12 pm

Good Luck!

5. March 25, 2010 7:07 pm

Dr. Kvedar,

I’m quite excited about the potential for connected health myself. However, I wonder whether it will take root if in-hospital programs don’t emerge. I’ve heard about a few but most seem to assume that primary care should be the locus for cHealth delivery.

Do you think hospitals have an important role in developing cHealth?

-Katherine

• March 26, 2010 4:36 pm

The role of the hospital is slowly shrinking over time. One can get radiology testing, lab testing and outpatient surgery all done outside of the traditional hospital setting whereas 20 years ago they all took place in hospital. We’ve focused on care where the patient is/when the patient needs it. There will be a role for the inpatient unit, the ICU and the ER for a long time, but other functions will exist separately tied together by information systems.

• Dr Shmuel permalink
        March 27, 2010 12:16 am

We’ve focused on care where the patient is/when the patient needs it.

There still is the element of cost. An afternoon of repeated MRIs to pinpoint a source of pain cost us in France €300 while in the US it would cost at least $10,000. With such expenses the system will hit a concrete wall rather than evolve to where we need it.

• March 27, 2010 2:22 pm

Our premise is to keep care out of traditional care settings. if we keep you healthy in your own home we have a fighting chance of avoiding those expenseive MRIs

6. March 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Dear Joe,

Love the concept chealth. Though ehealth, healthcare IT and mhealth have help change our lives,but we are suffering from the silo based problems…and there is what we call as “chealth” as the next in thing. An interoperable methodology where all of these talk to each other as well as the consumer…

Great Stuff..

• March 26, 2010 4:33 pm

Thanks for your encouragement. Agree about silos. we’re all trying to change healthcare!

7. March 26, 2010 4:25 pm

Dear Joe –

Not sure how you find the time to do it all. I, for one, and looking forward to your insightful commentaries with greater frequency. From all of us endeavoring to help bring connected health and true patient engagement and self-management to health care – a thank you to you and the Center for continuing to take a leadership role.

Looking forward to reading more.

Adam

8. March 26, 2010 6:41 pm

This is *such* great news – for your fans and for you. I’ve found blogging to be a wonderful way to try out ideas and get feedback on my work.

Susannah

9. March 26, 2010 9:55 pm

Joe – As with everyone else I’m excited about your blog.

One topic that needs to be explored as we consider connected health is how it can be utilized to serve both rural populations with limited connectivity AND underserved communities. Too often this concept seems to be focused on urban centers and some applications really cater to the techno-savy.

Hopefully some night when you are looking for topics you could share some thoughts on this.

thanks –

Steve

• March 27, 2010 2:25 pm

The recent FCC plan (easily downloaded at fcc.gov) is quite relevant here. Also, most of our implementations at CCH work fine over low bandwidth connections.

10. March 27, 2010 8:19 am

Joe,

You have been a consistently important, insightful voice at the nexus of healthcare and information technology. We look forward to gaining greater access to your thoughts going forward. Good luck. I know your blog will be a big hit! Let us know how we can help in the transformation of traditional healthcare delivery into “Connected-Health”.

ENJOY!

CC

11. April 8, 2010 10:54 pm

A very belated welcome, Joe! I will SO look forward to getting your perspectives.

Please be candid about the challenges of this pioneering work, and then the progress and the bumps in the road.

Like the others who commented, I believe the work of the Center is important to the future of healthcare, so I think the public should be informed and the public should care. The more visibility we all have into the work that you do, the better.

• April 9, 2010 6:50 am

Thanks for your words of support, Dave. The overlap of connected health and participatory medicine is strong. We’ll continue to have lots to discuss.